- In April 1918, Richard Huelsenbeck, who had recently returned to Berlin from Zurich, where he had carried out Dada activities, collaborated with Raoul Hausmann and Franz Jung to produce Club Dada, the first official Dada journal in Berlin. The journal featured two long texts by Huelsenbeck, 'Vorwort zur Geschichte der Zeit'[= Foreword to the History of Age] and a fragment from his novel Doktor Billig am Ende [= The Ruin of Dr Billig], as well as an essay by Jung, 'Amerikanische Parade'[= American Parade] [...]
- The two illustrations in Club Dada, Hausmann's cover design and hist advertisement for Jung's novel, The Leap from the World (1918), exhibit his innovative tactics for integrating texts and images, as well as his continued proclivity towards Expressionism. On the cover, the letters of the review's title are jumbled within an abstracted woodcut shape that looks like a hen. Hausmann's design for the advertisement for The Leap from the World centres around an abstracted woodcut showing a man surrounded by trees and buildings. Club Dada includes two pages entirely devoted to advertisements [...]
- TEXT CREDITS
Emily Hage, 'Club Dada', in The Dada Reader. A Critical Anthology / edited by Dawn Ades (Tate Publishing : London 2006) 70.]
N° 2 (May 1920) [International Dada Archive]
- Club Dada
Subtitle Prospekt des Verlags Freie Straße
Published as Die Freie Straße. Achte Folge der Vorarbeit (1918)
Edited by Raoul Hausmann, Richard Huelsenbeck and Franz Jung; published by Verlag Freie Straße, Berlin
An extensive bibliographic description in Datenbank des deutschsprachigen Anarchismus - DadA.
- Richard Huelsenbeck and Franz Jung; illustrations by Raoul Hausmann.
- Reprinted in 'Dada Germanico', in the series Documenti e periodici Dada / a cura di Arturo Schwarz. Collezione di ristampe anastatiche diretta da Massimo Carra e Giorgio de Marchis (Gabriele Mazzotta : Milano 1970). The portfolio includes Club Dada, Der Dada 1-3, die schammade, Dadaco (Dadaistischer Handatlas).
- Reprinted in Dada-Zeitschriften-Reprint (Edition Nautilus : Hamburg 1978). The portfolio includes Prospekt des Verlags freie Straße [= Club Dada], Der Zeltweg, Cabaret Voltaire, Bulletin D, Der Dada 1, Der Dada 2, Der Dada 3, Dada Sinn der Welt, Dadameter [= die schammade], Calendrier 20.
- [anthology] Emily Hage, 'Club Dada', in The Dada Reader. A Critical Anthology / edited by Dawn Ades (Tate Publishing : London 2006) 70-81.
- SECONDARY LITERATURE
- Emily Hage
'Club Dada', in The Dada Reader. A Critical Anthology / edited by Dawn Ades (Tate Publishing : London 2006) 70.
- Emily Hage
'Club Dada', translated from the French text, published in the catalogue Dada (Editions du Centre Pompidou : Paris 2005) 266-267. The translation was part of the Press Kit, published by MNAM Centre Pompidou 2005, p. 62-63 [Press Kit. MNAM Centre Pompidou].
- Emily Hage
New York and European Dada Art Journals, 1916-1926: International Venues of Exchange (S.l. : s.n. 2005) 123-125.
- Christian Weikop
'Transitions : from Expressionism to Dada: Neue Jugend (1914; 1916-17), Die freie Strasse (1915-18), Club Dada (1918)', in The Oxford Critical and Cultural History of Modernist Magazines. Volume III: Europe 1880-1940 / edited by Peter Brooker, Sascha Bru, Andrew Thacker, and Christian Weikop (Oxford University Press : Oxford etc. forthcoming).